What is a Floor Inspector? How Can They Help Me?
Steven Johnston Inspections & Consulting
Professional, Prompt, Truthful, & Unbiased Inspections
(My integrity is NOT for sale)
My role in an inspection is to:
· Gather facts, history of the complaint, take pictures, measurements, moisture readings, & perform field tests
· Get samples for lab testing if possible
· Look for the specific causes of problems
· NOT discuss inspection findings with any one other than commissioning party or give opinions on site
· I ask questions to gather information; these are not to trick any party.
I take the findings & evidence to my office & use industry standards, guidelines, & technical information to:
Prepare a comprehensive report providing:
- Description of complaint/problem
- Job site description/Product description
- Claim/Maintenance History
- Detailed description of problem
- Field and/or lab test results (will require additional time & expense to have these performed)
- Research applicable industry and/or manufacturer installation/maintenance standards
- Find a conclusion based on collected data and field tests
- Identification of responsible party
After the Inspection
- I submit my findings, photos, & samples within 72 hours to the commissioning party ONLY!
- Please don’t call me to ask questions, I am NOT at liberty to discuss the inspection with any other party.
- Please do not call me to inform me of your disapproval or disagreement (I WILL terminate the call).
- Please do not call to inform me that you have not received a copy of the report.
- As an Inspector, I do not deny claims; I report information, gather evidence, field testing, & write a report.
- I do not get involved in the politics of things once the inspection is complete & report is submitted.
- Once I submit the floor inspection report, my work is completed as paid for initially; any further communication by any means will require additional payment in advance.
- If you disagree with the report or findings, you may hire an inspector to perform an inspection at your expense.
- Take things up with retailer or manufacturer after a second inspection is performed if the findings vary.
- Arbitration, mediation, deposition, or litigation will require a signed employment agreement & prepaid retainer.
What Will Not Be Tolerated
- I am NOT a “hired gun.” My services WILL NOT & CAN NOT be bought to write a report that is not truthful or could not be defended in litigation if needed; PLEASE do not ask.
- Payment of cash does not reduce inspection fees, I will fill out an invoice & mark it paid in cash.
- I will NOT violate ethics in the profession including committing fraud, lying, or tax evasion; PLEASE do not ask.
- If a manufacturer hires me to perform an inspection, MY findings will be truthful & factual, EVEN if it means reporting there are issues with their product.
- My goal is to remain professional & courteous throughout this process. I do not act or speak unprofessionally, nor will I tolerate this from another party including use of profanity or threats.
- If the inspection gets to a hostile point, I reserve the right to ask the homeowner to ask a party to leave the site in order to perform the inspection; failure to do so may end the inspection after one warning.
- If a consumer gets hostile, uses profanity, or makes threats; without warning, I will terminate the inspection.
- Please be truthful; answer questions if you can; if you can’t recall, then state such & I will report this as stated.
- Giving false information is fraudulent & illegal & could lead to issues down the road in the process. We do not ask questions to trick you. We are gathering facts so be truthful.
- I CAN NOT discuss an inspection with retailers, consumers, installers, or other parties without express written permission of a manufacturer or commissioning party to avoid conflict of interest or ethical concerns.
- If you have disagreements with the findings, CONTACT the commissioning party to discuss these.
- I WILL NOT answer concerns or discuss ANYTHING once I submit my report.
- Due to professional client confidentiality privileges, I will release a copy of the report to the commissioning party ONLY to maintain client confidentiality privileges.
- If express written permission is granted, then upon a signed agreement & payment in advance of fees, I may be hired to offer consulting/correction services.
- I will not come back to a jobsite to help or perform repairs (outside of manufacturer request) unless my employment agreement is signed & payment made in advance prior to work beginning.